Our Hands Are Full With Hearts To Match

Friday, May 7, 2010

Guilt and glee...

How do these two mix together? Well you put someone in my shoes, about to officially find out whether our first DE IVF worked, and a good friend of mine, beginning down the path of infertility, together. Not only do you put them together but you put them together with Mother's Day on the horizon. I remember the first Mother's Day after my POI diagnosis and being depressed and wanting to cry. I thought I would never be a mother and I had no idea how I'd ever get there if I were going to. Jeff bought me a "I love my wife" type card and a necklace and said it was because I would be a great mom someday. I never told him but I didn't like the sentiment at the time and I told myself I didn't want to wear the necklace unless I actually became a mom someday. I remember he mentioned the thoughtful gift at the family dinner for his mom and I felt ridiculous...someone without a child, pregnancy or anything on the horizon being thought of. I share this story because I remember very well what it's like to be there and not look on Mother's Day as one that I'll ever celebrate anytime soon. I still don't feel like I'll celebrate it too much this year either...I'd rather wait on certainty then celebrate early.

But now I feel both guilty and gleeful. I'm happy that Jeff and I have possibly started our family and that things could be going our way. But I feel guilty because I know how my friend must feel. In fact I just read on her blog tonight about how she's been having a hard time with Mother's Day coming up and still not being a mom...I imagine this is the first one that she has had to deal with in that type of infertility perspective. I know it sucks. I hate that it sucks. And I keep thinking and praying that she will be pregnant before I have to say anything about our situation. I don't want to be the one that makes things worse. I don't want her to be upset or angry or disappointed. I have had difficult feelings in the past with regards to her and my infertility but now all I can think and feel is that I want her to be a mom. I want her to have everything she desires. I don't want to be the one that makes her feel like I did when my roommates and friends announced pregnancies over the last 2 1/2 years. I have no idea how I'll ever have the courage to talk to her if good things don't come her way first.

No comments: