Our Hands Are Full With Hearts To Match

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Did You Have Fun?

I have discovered a new way of going about my frustrations when the girls makes messes or do something I didn't exactly want them to do.  I admit in the past I have been frustrated by this type of thing...the telling them not to do something repeatedly and still having it happen.  I admit that I have yelled at them, swatted their bottom on occasion and even been the cause of tears (mine and theirs).  I have to remind myself that they don't have long term memory like I do.  And they definitely don't have reasoning.  I read an article once on child discipline and that asking a toddler why they did something is like asking a wasted or tweaked out fraternity boy the same thing.   Their reasoning isn't completely present...most of the time it's fully absent.  They don't really know why they did it.   It seemed like a good idea at the time and it was fun.  What more do you want them to say?  You won't really get anywhere until the reasoning is in place.

So telling Kendall and Seren no one day may not carry onto the next day or the next 5 minutes.  And there isn't really a reason or purpose to some of their crazy or (at times) damaging behaviors.  But they are learning things with every "experiment" they do and every nerve they might step on (unfortunately).  So today I tried a different method.  When Kendall smeared her peanut butter and ketchup (chicken nugget fail turned into PB sandwich) all over the table and herself and I wanted to scold her I remembered this and gently told her food goes in your mouth not on the table and then asked her "Did you have fun though?" and the cute little munchkin nodded enthusiastically.  So hey my nerves and patience may suffer a little but I hope they are at least having fun with it.

No comments: