It started out with some minor concerns with Kendall and Seren being verbal for their age. We asked about it at the last doctor's appointment (18 months) and their pediatrician said to let her know if they didn't learn a few more words in the next couple months. I talked to Jeff and his mom about it and the girls began to imitate more and it seemed like they were improving so it was put off for a while. The girls sometimes repeat a word or attempt at a word but then won't say it again when prompted. They only really say 5 or 6 words consistently. Kendall says: momma, dadda, dog, duck, uh-oh. Seren says: momma, dadda, juice, uh-oh, yes (and hums/babbles tunes to Twinkle Little Star, Elmo's World and Rock A Bye Baby). Their comprehension is great (I think) and they seem to understand what we say or ask them.
I kept noticing kids around them...kids that were close to their age or a month or two younger being more verbal. Finally after running into an 18 month old at the park that was saying 1,2 and saying a couple words I got a little concerned again. Jeff and I talked about it and listed all the words the girls said consistently and some they attempt but don't repeat. Then I contacted our pediatrician again and received word back that she would expect them to say quite a few more words than they do right now. That 2 year olds were expected to have a 50 word vocabulary. Of course they aren't on track for that. So she is referring us to early intervention to have them evaluated.
I know it's better to have them evaluated and to see what more we can do. But it is just like this heavy weight on my heart. Because I just think what is the likelihood of two toddlers having speech delays because of inherent reasons. To me it just screams that it is something lacking with the environment and instructors (ie me). And I thought we were doing okay despite dividing attention between the two to try to read and talk to them and such. And I limit their television (usually an episode of Sesame Street every other day or so but definitely no more than one a day). I guess we can't really say they are delayed until we have them evaluated but I just feel like crap that they even need to be evaluated. And it's so stupid and irrelevant but I have this weird concern that my "competitive friend" who has a daughter two months younger than them will judge it or find it as a reason to be more proud or bragging about her child (like she doesn't do that enough already). I feel my protective momma bear nature coming out at the same time and don't want to cause problems with my feelings about it.
I guess all we can do is set it up and have them evaluated and then move from there. Dr G (their ped) says that Early Intervention might offer speech therapy to help them catch up. I guess it doesn't hurt to have some help either to know what more I can do to teach and help them learn.
3 comments:
Maybe they just need someone else their age to talk to? My daughter started with a few words, waited about 4 months (in which she used zero words) and then met a new kid her age who talked, and suddenly within a week she used a whole bunch of words. Do they go to something like story time at a library where they might meet a non-competitive, similar aged kid or two to have fun play dates with? (Also, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Why compare? I thought all twins took a long time to learn English because they can converse with each other, so maybe there's nothing to worry about!)
Oh Michelle, my heart broke for you when I read this. Not because I am worried about the girls, but because I feel badly that you think this is your fault! I think it is normal for twins to have some speech delays. My boys were in early intervention (at first because J just refused to roll over by 6 months, and then because of speech delays). Our early intervention therapist told us that it is not uncommon for twins to have speech delays. She said that kids tend to mimic eachother, so if one of the twins sees that the other isn't talking, then the first twin could think that adults talk and kids point.
My kids had very few words by 23 months. Not even near the 50 word mark. Then, suddenly, they had a speech explosion at about 24 months! They have been talking more and more as they have grown and are well within the norm for their age.
Please try not to stress about their speech "delay." Even though we were working with early intervention, the kids spoke when they were ready. (We moved, and with the early intervention therapists wholehearted approval, discontinued speech therapy.)
And your uber competitive friend can just take her own thoughts and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. Seriously. People comment all the time on how smart they think my kids are. They literally said 10 words between them until they were two.
I hope that is some comfort to you!
Thank you both! I appreciate the comments, advice and sympathy so much. I had a rough day over it and cried a lot but feel a little better now.
I agree it would help to spend time with some other kids their age (I think they stick to each other a lot out of comfort). They see their cousins (one who is a few months older) every week but I love the idea of finding a library group or just more activities for exposure (thanks Ms PharmD).
Thanks Brenda for your sympathy and understanding it made me tear up with the good heart and advice you shared. It helps to hear that it seems more common with twins and that you had good experience with Early Intervention as well. I hope that our experience will be the same. Your words were and are of great comfort you have no idea. I hope you and your boys are doing well. Thank you again!
Post a Comment