Our Hands Are Full With Hearts To Match

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How do our minds look in there?

You know what makes a couple nervous during this process? It's not the physicals or blood tests or exams. It's meeting with the psychologist. The one you think will "probe deep into your mind" as Jeff said and bring something up you aren't prepared for or haven't thought of. But things were actually pretty nice. Dr. C was a nice woman and although Jeff and I were both nervous to meet with her we felt good about it. She talked with us about how we'd come to pursue donor egg invitro and the positives and negatives of the possibilities. We talked about our plans if it were to work (disclosure, risk of twins, etc) and our plans if it were to not (ways we cope with stress, getting a dog or going on a vacation). There was only one question about privacy and how to talk about privacy with child that we hadn't thought about. Everything was just smooth. Even Dr C commented on how easily things had gone and I think so much of that is because of the time we've had to think it through and prepare to be at this point.


It was interesting and although there were some questions that brought out emotion I didn't cry which surprised me. We had a couple laughs over our dating story (China Night being a "trashy Chinese restaurant") and what our reaction might be over twins. It was somewhat surreal to talk more candidly about the genetic side but at the same time realizing I wasn't emotional over the loss anymore (at least not then) felt really good. It was weird to realize that this might actually work. It has a good chance of working. Yeah!! It got me more excited and nervous too. I can't express how much we hope this works. Once again I'm glad we've had time on our side. Time to work through things and to put things in place the way that we hoped. Just so excited for April. It's coming up so quickly.

No comments: