Seren is a trooper. She has adapted very well to her newly casted leg. She doesn't like it but she manages. The first full day in the splint was rough as Seren was upset about it and Kendall had a fever (I think from teething since it's gone and nobody ever got sick). So both of my sweeties were extra needy and I was a bit nutty from all of it. But we have made it to almost a week post-break and things are good. Seren is now sporting a hot pink cast and enjoys her days typically on the couch or on the mattress in the front room (luckily during the move-in this is where we slept so the mattress has stayed there for now to be a comfy sitting spot).
Jeff's parents and sister came to sit with Kendall and his mom came to the appointment with me. The specialist Dr Richter was quick and accurate in the assesment of her break. He said it is not in the growth plate so it should heal very nicely and not cause any problems. He also said he typically sees these type of breaks with trampolines. He explained they would put a bent-knee non-weight bearing cast on for 2 weeks and then a straight leg weight bearing cast for 2 weeks after that. The bend in the knee being to discourage Seren from trying to stand or walk (like Mommy isn't a big enough discourager). The PA and nurse came in to put the cast on and we told them the pinkest pink they could find would make Seren happy. The cast wrapping went smoothly and Seren didn't even cry. She squirmed a little when the PA tried to talk to her and gave some scowls when they touched her leg but in general was amazing.
She has been off of her feet at home when I am around. During naptimes and bedtimes I have found her standing up in her crib, holding onto the railing and most of her weight on her good leg. I was fighting her on it but have since decided that she doesn't appear to put weight on the cast and that I can't have eyes on her at all times to keep her off. I can't wait until she is in the weight bearing cast though so I won't be so stressed about it. We have watched enormous amounts of Sesame Street. So much that I want to gouge my eyes out at times but it seems to keep them both happy. We also go for walks in the stroller, color, play with toys on the floor, go for drives in the car, stroll around stores and swing in the backyard to kill the boredom blues.
2 comments:
She sounds like a real trooper, you wee one. And if you are going to have a cast, you might as well get a hot pink one - how awesome!
Hang in there mama. HOpefully, the 2 weeks will go by fairly quickly.
Thanks Augusta :) Two more days til she can try walking in a cast...praise be. She is completely content to crawl again though.
Post a Comment